Over the last couple years, I have come to really love listening to podcasts as a way to grow myself personally and professionally. They can be listened to while walking or commuting, while washing the dishes, and sometimes even while doing mindless work. Rarely do I ever simply sit and listen to a podcast (though I do typically aspire to monotask). The beauty is that when I am still, I can be quietly and mindfully productive in my writing and creativity; but when I must be doing something else, podcasts allow me to be productive in a less tangible way: through the empowering stories and insights of other creatives.
If you’re looking for some guidance in your creative endeavors, consider listening to one of the following female-hosted podcasts for creatives. Here, I’ve curated a list of some of my favorite episodes to get you started.
No. 1: Hashtag Authentic
Hosted by Sara Tasker, a creative coach + blogger, this podcast exudes a conversational tone and is filled with all kinds of practical tips and empowering revelations for creatives.
- Selling Your Work Without Feeling Weird and Uncomfortable (with Tara Swiger)
- Stopping the Glorification of Busy (with Jen Carrington)
- Building a Multi-Hyphen Career (with Emma Gannon)
No. 2: Make It Happen
Hosted by Jen Carrington, a creative coach, this podcast feels relatable and is ideal for those looking for short-and-sweet episodes.
- Show Up As If You’re Already Where You Want to Be
- 10 Reflective Exercises for Purpose-Driven Creatives
- Living and Working in Seasons
No. 3: Write Now
Hosted by Sarah Rhea Werner, a creative professional of all kinds, this podcast is a must for any writer in search of a positive and empathetic resource to help guide and deepen their craft.
No. 4: Creating Your Own Path
Hosted by Jennifer Snyder, a freelance writer, this podcast focuses on friendly and inspiring interviews with established creatives and how they found their way.
- Making Authentic Connections (with Designer + Letterer Christine Herrin)
- Boosting Creative Inspiration Through Travel (with Designer + Letterer Christine Herrin)
- Lessons Learned from the Adobe Creative Residency (with Designer + Letterer Christine Herrin)
No. 5: Raise Your Hand. Say Yes.
Hosted by Tiffany Han, a creative coach + strategist, this podcast is all about taking control of and saying “yes” to your creative ambitions.
- Lisa Congdon on Overcoming Anxiety
- 10 Success Secrets of the Highly-Creative
- Rethinking Productivity (with Tonya Dalton of Inkwell Press)
No. 6: Explore Your Enthusiasm
Hosted by Tara Swiger, a maker + author, this podcast is filled with uniquely engaging, concise, and insightful tips for creatives.
- Stop Seeking Approval (to Build a Great Business)
- Habits Make the Business
- How to Be Authentic (but Not a Hot Mess)
No. 7: Being Boss
Hosted by Kathleen Shannon and Emily Thompson, both creative entrepreneurs, this podcast covers the nuances of running a creative business through the perfect blend of humor and know-how.
No. 8: Marie Forleo
Hosted by Marie Forleo, a multi-passionate entrepreneur, this podcast (an audio version of her online TV show) is an empowering, entertaining, and comprehensive resource for solopreneurs.
- Elizabeth Gilbert on Fear, Authenticity, and Big Magic
- Cheryl Strayed: How To Become a Writer + Advice Every Creative Needs to Know
- Dani Shapiro’s Writing Process + the “Myth of Inspiration”
What are your favorite podcasts for creatives?